Some of you may have been following my blog while I was in Guatemala. I have now returned to the US, but I felt the need to encapsulate my experience in the above photo, when another US student and I taught the Kaqchikel Maya instructors how to do line dancing. We explained, of course, the importance of line dancing and its ties to country music as one of the music and art forms that was and is natively produced in US culture (and that we didn't steal from other places... I think in the music world, that category leaves us with country, jazz, blues and grunge, of all things.) Who knew that the Gone Country Girls would one day be promoting cultural exchange via popular culture art forms?
Aug 25, 2008
Line dancing skillz cross cultural boundaries
Some of you may have been following my blog while I was in Guatemala. I have now returned to the US, but I felt the need to encapsulate my experience in the above photo, when another US student and I taught the Kaqchikel Maya instructors how to do line dancing. We explained, of course, the importance of line dancing and its ties to country music as one of the music and art forms that was and is natively produced in US culture (and that we didn't steal from other places... I think in the music world, that category leaves us with country, jazz, blues and grunge, of all things.) Who knew that the Gone Country Girls would one day be promoting cultural exchange via popular culture art forms?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This picture is amazing! Do you remember what song you were dancing to?
Post a Comment